Pop-up bath plug & overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one those pop up waste plugs on the bath where you turn the overflow to open the plug....connected by a cable - no idea how it is supposed to work/where to start....

Don't know if it ever worked since i lived here - all I can remember is it being stuck down once and not being able to empty the bath....fixed bath panel etc meant I didn't have access to it so have been using a standard plug for years...

Currently fiddling under the bath and thought if it is an easy fix now would be the time to do it....

Not tested with water (drains are disconnected at the moment) but turning the knob moves the plug up a tiny bit ...and back down again...

What kind of things on these need adjusting/fixing and how do I do it?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the bottom of the plug. There is usually a screw with a locknut sticking out. Winding the screw in or out takes up the slack in the mechanism so the plug lifts, just like adjusting the tappet clearances on a car engine.

Once set, tighten the locknut to stop the screw falling out.

If you need to replace the screw, use a stainless steel or brass machine screw. plain steel ones soon corrode away.

If the pop-up waste is under a shower, it is very easy to tread on it and bend the arm. If you fix it, give clear instructions that it must not be stood on. My personal preference is for a simple plug and chain (pulling hair plugs out of pop-up wastes is not my favourite chore).

I have extended the screw length but it isn't making a difference - it does make me think it is catching on the side of something but not making full contact...
Not used as a shower -and it seems straight enough (maybe a bit bent would work better!)

I think I might either have to bite the bullet and take it off altogether so I can have a proper look at it or just not bother and keep using a normal plug...

Have just put a new trap on it - (posted before about a redundant branch coming off the trap...when i tried to saw it off it was full of gunge -obviously water was draining into to it and hanging around...guess not that important - just a bit yuk :( ) and the new trap is leaking a bit where it screws onto this so I need to fiddle anyway...

Sponsored Links
If you fix it, give clear instructions that it must not be stood on
If this was the case - in my house that would be red rag to a bull...child would have to stand on it just to see what would happen...

Know this cos stuck note on shower - 'do not use - not connected to drain' - found water dripping out where pipe was disconnected - (thankfully just a dribble) obviously someone (10 year old) just couldn't leave it alone... :evil:

Help....

Decided to try and take it off (cos that was where the trap was leaking too) and try and fix it ...

Screw inside plug hole was stuck - took several attempts (WD 40, hitting it etc) to get it lose in the end an old chilsel wedge inside gave me enough leverage to get it moving - unscrewed a fair way easily and then suddenly got stiff again - now goes round and round and round pretty freely - rest of the waste doesn't seem to be moving but it is loose just the screw is not coming out ..and I have tried levering it up - what has happened?

Reluctant to trash it all together (was going to try and reuse it) but my patience is running out :evil: and I guess it might already be too late for that now...

There is often a brass nut thats held captive within a plastic housing....if too much force is put upon the screw, the nut starts to spin, and its usually game over by then.
I guess you are going to have to sacrifice that waste...replace with an Opella one if you can. Good quality!
Best to use a conventional type, with plug and overflow connection.
John :)

Thanks and Damn it - suspected it was something like that but I can't see the nut...wondered if it was a sneaky grub screw or something...

At least now I will get the pleasure of hacking it to bits after it giving me so much grief...

(Just need to be carefully I don't damage the bath...last thing I need ...can already feel next post coming on ... can you replace a bath without damaging the tiles?...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back