URGENT - Firedoor requirement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a loft conversion which was constructed in '81

When we moved it we stupidly removed the fire door int that room. Recently we installed a new one. First question does this door need to self closing - from what I can understand the regs changed a few years ago and these door no longer need to be self closing?

Secondly and more importantly are about to replace all of the doors on the first floor. The doors that have been purchased are not fire doors and are due to be fitted tomorrow. However someone said to us recently that these door may need to be replaced with fire doors because we have a loft conversion?

The complicating factor is that we having been having some other work done for which build reg are required. So if I now worried that if we go ahead and change the door they will turn around and say susbequently that fire doors are a requirement.

I would be extremely grateful for any adivce with regards this matter.

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
I doubt anyone will be able to remember the regs from over 30 years ago, but it won't be an issue.
If the doors you are replacing on the 1st floor are not fire doors, the new ones don't need to be either.
If memory serves, the door to the loft room should be a fire door, but does not need a self-closer.

You're right that self-closers are no longer a BR requirement.

As for the other doors, you would not be making the current situation any worse so (as Tony says) if you do not have fire doors now, there's no reason why the new doors need to be fire doors.

Thanks for your comments they are very helpful. I am not doubting the accuracy of your replies but how confident are you that your advice is correct?

You would not believe how many problems i have had during the past few months - mainly due to me having employed a cowboy builder. I am now desperate to complete the work but the last thing I want to happen is to change the doors only for BR to then turn around and say that they needed to be firedoors.

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
Just been looking at the interactive planning portal, it seems only to make mention of external door which are glazed, there is no real mention about internal doors. Am I worrying about nothing??

The requirement for fire doors came in with the 2007 amendment to Part B of the regulations. In return, the requirement for an escape window in a loft conversion was removed.
In changing non-fire-resisting doors for other non-fire resisting doors you are not making the situation any worse: you don't need fire doors on the first floor.

Fire doors with self closing devices have always been a requirement for three storey properties since at least the 1960's

Even if a BCO does not notice these, your home insurance will certainly be voided by having incorrect fire resistant doors

I've no issue with putting a perko on the fire door. The main question though is whether i need fire door when I replace the doors on the first floor - Tony seems to think not - do you agree.
Thanks
Simon

We're talking about a loft conversion to a two-storey house, not a 3-storey house from new. In the latter case, it would of course have needed fire doors from new.

For loft conversions to a two-storey house, the concession before 2007 was that you just had self-closers fitted on the 1st and ground floors (no fire doors required) and an escape window in the loft. It specifically said in para 2.19 that 'existing doors need only be fitted with self-closing devices'.

Prior to the 2000 edition, who knows? But if it was built more than 30 years ago, no-one - least of all Building Control - is going to be concerned.

We're talking about a loft conversion to a two-storey house, not a 3-storey house from new. In the latter case, it would of course have needed fire doors from new.

For loft conversions to a two-storey house, the concesion before 2007 was that you just had self-closers fitted on the 1st and ground floors (no fire doors required) and an escape window in the loft. It specifically said in para 2.19 that 'existing doors need only be fitted with self-closing devices'.

Prior to the 2000 edition, who knows? But if it was built more than 30 years ago, no-one - least of all Building Control - is going to be concerned.

Ok beginning to get a little confused now - it does not take much. Are you saying that because my loft conversion is more than 30 years then I do need to replace my normal doors on the first floor with fire doors however I did need to fit self closing devices to the replacement doors?

Your gratefully
Simon

Page 23 does not mean much to me?!

However appendix B mentions that only fire doors between an integral garage and a house need to have a self closing device.

No mention of replace of existing internal doors.

I am getting tired now thinking about this, think I will just go ahead and replace the doors and hope for the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back