URGENT HELP REQUIRED - Problems with cold water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a ball valve that needed replacing and have done so. However, I've filled the tank now job complete and have no cold water supply to any taps. One of the bathroom toilets (upstairs) seems to fill very slowly and that is it? Any ideas. The hot water tank appears to have filled up okay.

Also once I'd put the new ball valve in, I had a leak on the other side of the tank. I tightened it up and applied some water jointing compound (it seems to have been used previously) but didn't get any reinforcing fibre. It doesn't seem to leak at all at the moment but should I go and get some? ie. is the compund useless without it?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I only have cold water in the kitchen!

Sponsored Links
You're airlocked. ie air is sitting in horizontal pipework. Simplest way to go is often to suck with a water-suitable vac. Though the Hot pipe is vented so you can suck more air, it often works in a couple of seconds.

Next is to connect the mains in the kitchen or garden hose, to the ( open )hot tap. Often you can use a washing machine hose and the hot and cold valves.

Cold in bath etc is more awkward - try connecting the hot to it once the hot is working. Maybe do that by opening shower on warm, with hand over end of hose (after removing head).

If still no go it's the garden hose up to the bathroom, to get water up the hot pipe.

Thanks Chris,

Hot water supply is fine - I have no cold water supply from tank except for one toilet! Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
you need to push mains pressure thro the pipes to get the air out or as chris suggested use a wet vac there is an air bubble somewhere stopping the flow :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back