Urgent Screeding Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Two days ago I had my block and beam balcony screeded. I told the screeder that it needed a fall from 80mm to 40mm going away from the house.

Today the bricklayer discovered that the screed was virtually level with a run off of about 10mm! going from 60mm to 50mm down to a proposed drainage hole

Apart from breaking it up and starting again, and arguing with the screeder, are there any alternatives?

The builder mentioned floor leveller but the area affected is about 12m2

Can it be re screeded laying an additional 10-20mm over the new screed bonding it with PVA etc

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

It is about 3.1metres by 5.6 metres.

We wanted at least 40mm fall from the house across the 3.1 metres.

The builder has just told me that the screeding company said they would send the screeder back to get it all up and do it again. Which I think would not do the block and beam any good, hammering and banging

The builder said he would see if he could use a render mix with pva and see how that turned out

How much of an overhang does your roof have over your balcony ? Is the balcony going to be tiled ?

I ask because whatever you have (roof ) gives you an extra margin of safety if it is 50 cm or 100 cm or whatever.

You do have a positive drop away from thr house which is essential. Whether the greater degree of drop is absolutely necessary , I am uncertain, but undoubtedly someone cleverer will be along shortly.

However these drops away fom a house or in a pipe were not calculated scientifically, but made up with experience and regard to the available measuring tools i.e. 1 yard rule so 1 " drop over that gave 1: 36.

If you do not live in a monsoon zone maybe this will be ok , but I'll leave that up to others to discuss.

Sponsored Links
Hi

n. Which I think would not do the block and beam any good, hammering and banging
won`t harm the beams - and the odd block that might break will be lifted and replaced - :idea: - It`s a cock up and if it`s agreed that it will be re laid then it should be done properly including any damage . Just my opinion ;)

How much of an overhang does your roof have over your balcony ? Is the balcony going to be tiled ?

The overhang is about 1.4metres. The roof it is going to be Polyroofed with an antislip finish. The overhang screeding part is actually ok as it falls back to a drain point , it is just the rest of it!

The builders came today to have a go at trying to lay about 25mm tapering down to 1mm but failed. They said they would have a go on Friday at using floor leveller, if that fails the screeder will have to come back and sort it out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back