US toaster - how to make it work in the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a toaster its a special one which imprints a kitty cat on your toast. Anyway it won't work here! Does anyone know what kind of adaptor I need to make it work here? Also where I can buy said adaptor if such adaptor exists.
It has a plug with 2 prongs.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
the voltage is wrong.

If you use it in the UK it will burn out. This might be quick or slow.

Sponsored Links
yes. You can buy a 110v transformer. They are widely used on building sites. It will be yellow, quite heavy, and about 250mm cube. You will need a special plug. It will probably cost you about £60

p1323601_m.jpg

Imagine putting a 3volt torch bulb into a 6volt torch to picture what will happen if you plug a 110v American toaster into a 230v European supply.

It would almost certainly be cheaper and less trouble to buy a new toaster.

JohnD said:
yes. You can buy a 110v transformer. They are widely used on building sites. It will be yellow, quite heavy, and about 250mm cube. You will need a special plug. It will probably cost you about £60

p1323601_m.jpg

Imagine putting a 3volt torch bulb into a 6volt torch to picture what will happen if you plug a 110v American toaster into a 230v European supply.

It would almost certainly be cheaper and less trouble to buy a new toaster.

Really I thought they were -55v to +55v, whereas what you need is an inverter to go from 230v 50Hz to 120 60 Hz, or am I (probably) completely wrong?

Eddie M said:
Really I thought they were -55v to +55v, whereas what you need is an inverter to go from 230v 50Hz to 120 60 Hz, or am I (probably) completely wrong?

-55 and +55 is 110v across the pins.

A toaster is mostly a heating element (might have a timer in it) so will usually be 2kw or so. I don't think the frequency is the problem.

Inverters for laptoys and things will not have enough Amps.

51505.jpg

to each his own....but you can get them there (UK) :LOL:

a lot of trouble for toast.....you could always use a kitty shaped cookie cutter.....uh...you dont have cookies.....

never mind. ;)

We did until we got all frenchy and started putting u's in colour and favourite calling the fall autumn and cookies biscuits. :)

Just out of interest, if joining two pieces of wood, do you use a cookie jointer and cookies ?

haha you lot made me laugh, that is precisely my toaster.
Well I guess I will have to go and live in the US in order to use my toaster. DAMMIT. :evil:

Just to throw another complication into the mix, I'm lead to believe that many US toasters are class 0 construction (metal case, no earth). Point to anyone with the reason why (except plugwash!), flies in the face of our british logic but quite clever

Sponsored Links
Back