USA Car Battery Configuration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do the cars in the USA have the same battery configuration as the UK? (ie negative earth). I'm off on holiday soon and hoping to take my in car gadgets with me. I'm also assuming they have similar 'cigarette lighter' arrangements to plug them in.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
They used to be different I think many,many years ago. I think some UK cars very also different. I think it was to do with corrosion

It was due to corrosion that it was changed from +ve earth to -ve earth about forty years ago. It's to do with the way the ions flow that -ve earth gives more protection against corrosion.

Sponsored Links
didn`t stop Issigonis` 1100 range rotting like the proverbial :LOL: ;)

The satnav worked ok during the holiday in Florida. Downloaded the maps online before travelling and made big savings compared to what the US hire car were asking for satnav daily rentals.

As an owner of American vehicles in the UK, I can confirm that the Accessory / cigar lighter socket is the same as UK and European ones in size, voltage and polarity

Hitachimad said:
Austin 7s were pos earth wernt they? :LOL:
Indeed. With the battery half-sunken in the rear because of the lack of space under the little bonnet.
Talking about rust: I bought my second Simca 1100 new early 1975 and it was still mine when I had to bring it to a scrap yard due to excessive hidden rust around 1981.
And I had to make small holes in the Austin Seven floor to forever get rid of litres of spray water entering through rusted door sills! The car bottom has the form of a shallow bath tub ...
(OT) My last two cars (UK-built Micras) are much better, apart from not rusting, but then that's general progress as well!
BTW, both the practical Simca 1100 and the lovely Micra K11 once were Car of the Year. And I've had 2 of each so far.

Sponsored Links
Back