USA, Second Amendment

Sponsored Links
I lived through it at the time and my take on it was that it was a war that neither side could possibly win. The US didn't loose, they simply withdrew from the war and left them to it. The withdrawal was very messy.

That's the way I recall it.

Sponsored Links
The Victorious allied forces withdrew both from Germany and Japan.
Germany and Japan both formally surrendered to the Allies.
Vietnam never surrendered ,the Americans were in an unwinnable war simply because the folks back home didn't want to win.

The Victorious allied forces withdrew both from Germany and Japan.

Victorious Allies, and France, only withdrew from Germany after WW2 in Europe ended in 1990*

*oh yes it did!

The Vietnam war ended with the fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese in 1975, the US troops had left by 1973. There's various ways of interpreting it, probably all correct in some way.
I think filly has a distorted view of history:
April 30, 1975

On April 30, 1975, the last few Americans still in South Vietnam were airlifted out of the country as Saigon fell to communist forces.
North Vietnamese Colonel Bui Tin, accepting the surrender of South Vietnam later in the day, remarked, “You have nothing to fear; between Vietnamese there are no victors and no vanquished. Only the Americans have been defeated.”
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/u-s-withdraws-from-vietnam
It is true that the withdrawal of US troops began in 1973, because the US had realised the the war was unwinnable, and had sued for peace.

Finally, in January 1973, representatives of the United States, North and South Vietnam, and the Vietcong signed a peace agreement in Paris, ending the direct U.S. military involvement in the Vietnam War. Its key provisions included a cease-fire throughout Vietnam, the withdrawal of U.S. forces, the release of prisoners of war, and the reunification of North and South Vietnam through peaceful means.​

Sponsored Links
Back