USB 'Power Banks'

Going back to basics, but who is the present for and (safety of product a given) would they care?

Sponsored Links
The claims on battery capacity are not mistakes - they are just outright lies. ... One vendor has power banks of a certain capacity, so the next one will claim theirs has more so it appears better value. Repeat forever.
Maybe (given that, at a more credible level, we're very used to that) but, if that's the cases, they are pertty incompetent liars!

If they made 5,000, 10,000 and 20,000 mA one and lied by claiming that they were, say, 7,000, 15,000 and 30,000 mAh respectively, then that might well attract some buyers, but to make ridiculous claims could easily have the reverse effect.

Even if I were prepared to gamble on the quality of these things, I couldn't/wouldn't buy any of them, simply because I haven't got a clue as to what capacities they actually have. They have therefore potentially lost at least one customer, and probably an awful lot more.

It's a bit like claiming that a LED lamp has an output of 10,000 lumens or that a car has a top speed of 600 mph - people would be incredulous and confused to the point of not buying!

Kind Regards, John

Going back to basics, but who is the present for and (safety of product a given) would they care?
As I've just written, I have an idea as to what sort of capacity I'm looking for (and they need) so, even if (and that's a pretty big IF) I were happy about safety, I wouldn't be able to buy any of them, since I haven't got a clue as to what capacities they actually have.

What would you do (again, assuming you weren't concerned about safety) - maybe go for the "2,000,000 mAh" one, because it was the highest claimed capacity (as well as being one of the cheapest!) ??

Kind Regards, John

As I've just written, I have an idea as to what sort of capacity I'm looking for (and they need) so, even if (and that's a pretty big IF) I were happy about safety, I wouldn't be able to buy any of them, since I haven't got a clue as to what capacities they actually have.

What would you do (again, assuming you weren't concerned about safety) - maybe go for the "2,000,000 mAh" one, because it was the highest claimed capacity (as well as being one of the cheapest!) ??

Kind Regards, John

Well.... safety is a consideration of course, but rather than tie myself in knots I went for a (claimed) 20,000 mAh one. It has enough juice to charge my phone up 4 times.

Also perhaps worth bearing in mind they're charged up using a usb charger provided by yourself, which understandably is the most usual component to go up in flames if cheap / defective.

Sorry, it appears I was mistaken, this :-

Anker PowerCore 10000mAh Power Bank

The newer model can be found here (other vendors are available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Ultr...-B07QXV6N1B/dp/B07QXV6N1B/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
It's a bit like claiming that a LED lamp has an output of 10,000 lumens or that a car has a top speed of 600 mph - people would be incredulous and confused to the point of not buying!

Kind Regards, John

Can you remember looking at audio equipment 20 years ago, and the wattage rattings that were stated, putting PMPO into the small print seemed to let them claim anything. Speaker setups for computer systems were one of the worst examples if memory serves

... but rather than tie myself in knots I went for a (claimed) 20,000 mAh one. It has enough juice to charge my phone up 4 times.
Yes, so would I, but you seem to be totally missing my point.

In terms of eBay listings for 5V USB 'power banks', the great majority seem to have claimed capacities in the range 50,000 - 2,000,000 mAh ("100,000 mAh" probably being the most common) - so if (like me) you were looking for an (actual) 10,000 or 20,000 mAh one, which of the eBay offerings would you buy?

I presume that you answer would be (like mine) that you wouldn't buy any of those, but would, instead, go for a 10,000 or 20,000 mAh one from a known branded supplier, wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

If I was buying something like this, I'd buy it from this guy - I was really impressed with his integrity and knowledge when I bought from him a couple of years ago: https://www.mobilesolarchargers.co.uk/power-banks
Indeed. There are countless suppliers of reasonable-sounding branded ones - but this discussion is about trying to make some sense of the listings (for 'unbranded' ones) on eBay.

Kind Regards, John

not really maximum charging or discharge rate is 2ah so 50ah would take 2 days and a 500ah would take 3 weeks to charge :D
They would, if they existed - but that overlooks the fact that you would not certainly find something containing a 50 Ah battery, let alone a 500 Ah one, which could sit in the palm of your hand :)

Kind Regards, John

Can you remember looking at audio equipment 20 years ago, and the wattage rattings that were stated, putting PMPO into the small print seemed to let them claim anything. Speaker setups for computer systems were one of the worst examples if memory serves
Yes, there have been countless examples like that but, as I recently wrote, if the claims are too ridiculous (as the power bank capacities clearly are), they will probably put off more potential customers than they attract.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, so would I, but you seem to be totally missing my point.

In terms of eBay listings for 5V USB 'power banks', the great majority seem to have claimed capacities in the range 50,000 - 2,000,000 mAh ("100,000 mAh" probably being the most common) - so if (like me) you were looking for an (actual) 10,000 or 20,000 mAh one, which of the eBay offerings would you buy?

I presume that you answer would be (like mine) that you wouldn't buy any of those, but would, instead, go for a 10,000 or 20,000 mAh one from a known branded supplier, wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

I don't feel I'm missing your point. Visually compare a say 18v 5Ah power tool battery, then "extrapolate" that to a 5v 100 Ah battery.

You probably have or should have a very sizeable battery in mind.

I don't feel I'm missing your point. Visually compare a say 18v 5Ah power tool battery, then "extrapolate" that to a 5v 100 Ah battery.
I'm certainly not going to buy any product based on a guess at its specification, that guess itself being based on the appearance/size/weight of the product.

We know that these eBay-listed things don't have a capacity anything like 100 Ah at 5V - I'd be surprised if (m)any have a capacity greater than 10Ah (at 5V)
You probably have or should have a very sizeable battery in mind.
I certainly don't - the product I want would be tiny. However, if the listings meant what they say, they certainly would be enormous (and very expensive) - 2,000,000 mAh at 5V is 10,000 Wh, (i.e. 10 kWh) which, in energy terms, would be roughly equivalent to 550 Ah at 18V (i.e. over 100 times bigger than your power tool battery!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back