use 240v led g4 in a 12v light fitting bypass transformer ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just accidentally bought 240v g4 led bulbs and they obviously don't work in the 12v fitting i have. Is it ok to bypass the transformer and use the light fitting as a 240v direct to mains one that should drive these bulbs?

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily - the internals of the light might not be safe at 230V.

I think BAS is suggesting that the insulation levels of the existing wiring and bulb holder may not be safe for 230V if you intend reusing them.
I would tend to agree

Nothing to do with the different bulbs

Sponsored Links
No - what BAS is suggesting is that the lamp fitting may have been designed with 12V in mind in regard to safety. So for example some 12V lighting systems string two bare wires across the room with 12V between them and you clip 12V bulbs between the wires. Trying to use mains on this would represent a hazard!

This is an extreme example and the inadequacies of the design of your lamp fitting may not be so obvious. I imagine it will have some writing on it somewhere specifying the permitted voltage.

NO

as said the lamp holder and wiring to it is likely to be unsafe at 230 volts

Some 12 volt fittings have one side of the supply connected to exposed metal, safe if the transformer provides isolation, LETHAL when use on 230 volts.

G4 lampholders are not generally rated for 240V, modifying them to operate at 240V is really not an option, since there is nothing to then stop people putting 12V lamps in there and causing a fire/explosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back