use by dates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a bag of finishing plaster and a bag of bonding with use by dates of dec 05 does this really matter or is it no good to use?

Sponsored Links
depends how long youve had it and where it has been stored, for the sake of a tenner id dash it if youve had it for a while.

it does matter I bet that abg youve got will go off like a rocket.

Agree entirely. I mixed up some multi finish, by the time I'd got it on the board it was going off. It got nowhere near the wall and I ended up chucking it then looked at the bag - best before about 2-3 months beforehand!! It's a chemical reaction in the gypsum that makes it go off, not just drying out, so the ingredients have to be "fresh"

Don't bother - just throw it and get fresh is my advice. It's not expensive on the grand scale.

Sponsored Links
I skimmed a chimney breast other week and the customer supplied the bag of multi finish.

I got it on the wall ok. Thought it was a little harder that usual but thought nothing of it.

Wasnt till i looked at the bag that i noticed it was 3 YEARS out of date.. I kid you not. She said " the kitchen fitter left it for me when he fitted the kitchen to patch a few holes, but i never got round to it :eek:

hehe....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back