Use of lights on a 5 amp circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am moving into a new house which has 5 amp circuits in the living room and bedroom. I have a few questions about this as I have no experience of 5 amp circuits.
1. Am I able to change the plug on any lamp to the 5 amp round pins? Or are some lamps not suitable?
2. Can I use LED bulbs in the lamps?
3. Is there anything else I need to be aware of or that would be useful in dealing with this type of lighting set up?

Sponsored Links
Hello, I am moving into a new house which has 5 amp circuits in the living room and bedroom. I have a few questions about this as I have no experience of 5 amp circuits.
1. Am I able to change the plug on any lamp to the 5 amp round pins? Or are some lamps not suitable?
2. Can I use LED bulbs in the lamps?
3. Is there anything else I need to be aware of or that would be useful in dealing with this type of lighting set up?

5 amp sockets (controlled by a light switch) are brilliant because you can use table lamps etc by turning on a light switch from the door or whatever - whereas normally you wouldn't both using them.

Very convenient so you can select which lights you have on.

1) Any light with a standard 13 amp plug can be changed for a 5 amp one. Any lower voltage light with a transformer combined in the 13 amp can't be used (without major work and expense anyway).
2) LED lighting can be used, assuming you don't have a dimmer as a wall switch which isn't compatible with your LEDs.
3) The only other thing I can think of is if you like to use a table lamp on a timer as a deterrent when you're on holiday, you may have a problem - so maybe leave one light with a 13 amp plug that you can plug into a timer.

3) The only other thing I can think of is if you like to use a table lamp on a timer as a deterrent when you're on holiday, you may have a problem - so maybe leave one light with a 13 amp plug that you can plug into a timer.

Sponsored Links
Hi, jumping on the bandwagon here. I am in a similar position to Richardedd. My question is, rather than rewiring the plugs, can I just buy a uk to India adapter from Wilkos? Will the voltage etc all be safe to do this. Thanks

Hi, jumping on the bandwagon here. I am in a similar position to Richardedd. My question is, rather than rewiring the plugs, can I just buy a uk to India adapter from Wilkos? Will the voltage etc all be safe to do this. Thanks
Basically, yes provided the adapter conforms to the regs. Many don’t.

Much cheaper and neater to change the plugs however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back