5 amp lighting - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I stumbled across this site whilst looking for help regarding old 5 amp lighting circuits and thought that this would be the perfect place to find the answers I've searched long and hard for...

We recently bought a property from 1929 and, having moved in, we've now discovered that neither the main bedroom nor the lounge have any wall or ceiling lights. Both rooms have light switches, which control 2 (bedroom) or 3 (lounge) old style round pin sockets which we can use to plug in lamps.

Having thought about it, I quite like this idea and would like to keep the lights in this way; however, I would like to understand the type of lamps that I can use.

Could anyone help with the following questions:

1. Most table lamps that we have appear to be fitted with a 3 amp fuse. Can we still use these lamps on the 5 amp circuit? If not, is there anything that I can do to get these to work safely?
2. Do I need to use a specific bulb type with the lamps to avoid blowing them?
3. Anything else you think I need to think about...!?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Sponsored Links
They are a nice way to light a lounge or for bedside tables

Any bulbs can be used unless dimmer switches are fitted.

If using metal lights, (that aren't double insulated) it would be wise to ensure the sockets are earthed correctly.

1. Most table lamps that we have appear to be fitted with a 3 amp fuse. Can we still use these lamps on the 5 amp circuit? If not, is there anything that I can do to get these to work safely?
Yes you can use the lamps with a 3 amp fuse
2. Do I need to use a specific bulb type with the lamps to avoid blowing them?
Just use the lamp (bulb) type required for the lampholders, but as Andy has mentioned if you do replace existing switches for dimmers then a lamp(bulb) that is suitable for dimming must be selected.
3. Anything else you think I need to think about
I would be thinking because of the set-up of the lighting, what condition the cables are, and whether there is an earth present at the socket outlets, as this may restrict the type of table lamp you could safely use.

Sponsored Links
Hi both,

Really useful responses, thank you for taking the time. In answer to the point about the wiring...

The house itself has been fully rewired within the last 20 years and I assume that this includes the 5 amp sockets. They are wired to the same switch in the fuse box as the rest of the downstairs lights (just tested) and all 5 of the sockets are modern white and set into the wall. Am I right in thinking this suggests that they will be to the latest standards and earthed?

It's good to know that any lamp can be used in the sockets; I'll take the risk and wire one up as a tester!

Thanks again,

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back