5 amp round pin plug lamp circuit - multiple lights needed

Can't offer an ideal solution,
but
perhaps you could make a socket trailing lead.

You could possibly get a 5 amp plug, connect some three core flex to one end, and n amount of surface 5 amp sockets mounted on a piece of wood to the other end.

You would need to use the tougher pvc pattress boxes, as these will accept a plastic 20 mm flex gland - to prevent the flex from coming out of the box.
Face plates could be metal as more robust. MUST be earthed.

Absolute bodge I suppose, but may solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
I don't personally see a huge problem with putting a 5A plug on an extention lead, the worst that is likely to happen is a tripped breaker if the user is an idiot. I would however try and get an extention socket with exactly the right number of sockets to reduce the risk of someone seeing a spare socket though.

Just assume I am an idiot...

Is there a maximum number of lamps that I could add to a 5A plug. I see that plugging a washing machine onto the circuit would be a bit stupid. But what about if I put 3 or 4 lamps onto the extention?

Is there a maximum number of lamps that I could add to a 5A plug. I see that plugging a washing machine onto the circuit would be a bit stupid. But what about if I put 3 or 4 lamps onto the extention?
The main consideration is total load on the lighting circuit. Your lighting circuit is most likely on a 5A fuse (which would give a max total load of 1200W) or a 6A breaker (which would give a max total load of 1440W). You need to count up all lights on the circuit (regardless of whether they are connected via plug and socket connections or permanentnly wired in) and check that you aren't overloading the circuit.

Sponsored Links
i was doing a job in a house last week and the woman had a multi adaptor for 2 amp sockets and wants another one so i am trying to find where to get one.
so they do make them and i am sure they will make 5amp as well will let u know if i find one or if any one knows please let me know

When round pin sockets were in common domestic use adaptors of various combinations were commonplace, i've not seen any for sale in recent years though.

I'd have rather seen 1.5mm flex and a fused extention block (though the extention blocks they use in mainland europe often aren't overcurrent protected in any way) but as long as it's not overloaded it's probablly still safer than the s**t they sell as "travel adaptors".

1.5mm would require finding a rewirable europlug.

Rewirable plugs are available in most supermarkets in France for around 2 euros.

I have a double UK socket on the end of a monitor lead similar to the one shown (0.75 cable) and one on 1.5mm for SWMBO's hairdrier as hotels never have a socket where she wants it and she won't use the one in the bathroom. Also have a 13A plug to French socket and the pair together make iether a UK or French extension lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back