Use of PTFE tape ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
How do you use PTFE tape as a safeguard on thread?.do you need to use it on plastic thread like toilet fittings or is it only for metal thread.
1 or more layers and ant particular way to use it.
Cheers
Nick

Sponsored Links
Would you let someone wrap a parcel for you if they had to ask how to use the seloptape !

I personally never use it; got a plastic coupler with a rubber seal = don't need it; get a copper compression joint and get the olive squeesed just right (hand tight plus one half turn) = don't need it. But if you really want to, put it on the olive.

As a rule you shouldn't use it on plastic piping as the grips and seals in the plastic fittings will suffice, some of the waste pipes use solvent to seal.

If using compression fittings where there is an olive, when I was young I was always taught to wrap round the thread a couple of times with PTFE tape keeping the thread flat, always wrapping the tape in the opposite direction to that which the tread tightens up so it won't loosen as you tighten the joint. That said a mate who is a plumber always puts the olive on the pipe pushes it into the fitting then whilst holding the olive in place removes it from the fitting, he then wraps PTFE round the olive (none at all the thread) and thightens it up. I do that now and have never had a leak.

I'm just a DIY'er so see what the pro's say!

The_Wilderbeast said:
If using compression fittings where there is an olive, when I was young I was always taught to wrap round the thread a couple of times with PTFE tape keeping the thread flat
the threaded part on a compression joint is not part of the seal! so there is no point in doing this. threaded joints such as the fitting that screws into the radiator require this though.

this questions come up before and is one everyone who fancies a bit of diy and goes near a pipe will face so ive put a link to an old topic here in the wiki (anybody feel free to write a summary there in the wiki)

Sponsored Links
personally if i ever see ptfe tape on a comp joint i start to have suspicions a to the competence of the person who did it. and thus the rest of the system as well

as far as i know. there is no restriction of use for ptfe if folk wanna bung it on threads, where olives or flared joints are involved...so be it. so bung that in your wiki. mate.

The_Wilderbeast said:
I do that now and have never had a leak.

I like make a bow on the outside of the compression joint after I have tightened it up. Sometimes two. So far I have only had a few leaks :LOL:

A turn of PTFE tape on the thread of a compression joint won't make any difference to the seal , but I suppose it may help to lubricate the thread a bit to stop it screaming when you tighten it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back