Used Combi Boiler help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have now given up trying to have my boiler repaired and can just about stretch to a used boiler. Please can anyone advise where to buy one or is anyone selling one.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
what boiler do you have and what is it not doing?

It was blowing the fuse on the pcb, so the engineer installed a new pcb still no joy so he said it was the gas valve and installed one and still nothing. I got a different engineer and he is now saying it is the pump so I have given up! :(

Sponsored Links
due to installers giving you incorrect dianostic advice you have now spent the best part of a new boiler anyway, IMO i wouldn't fit a 2nd hand boiler, think about it, it's not like buying a 2nd hand car because someone wants a change, normally the only reason people remove a boiler & sell it is because they have been having probs with it or it's knackered, i just think you are opening yourself upto a world of just paying out if you go down this route & that's if you can find someone to fit it for you, i personally wouldn't think about installing a 2nd hand boiler for a customer.

previous threads

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/boiler-part-please-can-anyone-help-me-im-freezing.341950/

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/ridiculous-and-still-freezing.343801/

Thanks Pete are the Alpha ones ok? I have been offered a Worcester Greenstar for £200 but need to but the flue and an new pump

Ruth, have you been paying for all these parts which were not needed because engineers misdiagnosed the fault?

Thats as bad a BBC DG Entwhistle getting £450,000 when he was sacked for messing up!

If they charged you then I think you should get any money back from them.

I would fit a used boiler but never a Worcester and only a known good model like a Biasi, Vaillant or Viessmann using a stainless heat exchanger.

But its slightly risky and does not have a guaranty and I still charge £840 so the saving is a small proportion of the total cost.

Tony

Because they dont have an SS heat exchanger and the alloy one is easily damaged. Nor do I see the PCBs as very reliable either.

I would fit a new one as the guaranty covers them.

Think you should get money back from those who misdiagnosed your faults!

I would not fit a used Alpha either.

In fact, I would be reclaiming all of the costs you have already paid for ( not ) repairing your Halstead boiler, taking them to court if needed.

With that money I could then afford a new boiler!

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
Ruth, get your guy to disconnect the power to pump, turn gas off and run the system. See if the fuse blows now. If not, then it is the pump.

You could contact trading standards and see if you can get your money back form the person who fitted the parts but did not effect a cure.

Stick with the boiler and get the problem fixed, that is what my advice would be:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back