Mandatory Wireless stat? Main Combi Compact question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I wonder if you can advise please.
I need to put a new combi boiler in a btl property. In the past I've always had main combi eco, then eco elites, installed. Just returned from local boiler supplier and been advised these have been phased out and now Main are selling the Compact line.

So here's the question - One plumbing shop is saying it will only work with a wireless thermostat, can't even set it up without one. The other is saying that this is not necessary and will be fine with a wired stat. Google searching not 100% clear but I suspect it will probably be fine with wired.

Does anyone have experience with these boilers and can advise, and also whether you would recommend them or not as a boiler?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I haven’t experience with these, but you’d need to be more specific about which model of boiler, so the mi’s can be checked. If in any doubt contact Main/Baxi? I’ve just had a quick look at one, and it appears to be ok with wired. Also had this with Intergas, with folk telling us we had to use Honeywell wireless stat, yet found out a few can be used.

Just found this as well: https://www.mainheating.co.uk/main-products/gas-boilers/combi-boilers/main-eco-compact-combi

One plumbing shop is saying it will only work with a wireless thermostat, can't even set it up without one.
The shop is telling porkies. Main list two wired controllers - a programable stat (7212438), and a room stat (720971601).

Main also list an outdoor sensor (7703233), which means that the boiler is weather-comp capable. Weather comp automatically adjusts the boiler flow temperature according to the outdoor temperature - high temp when it's very cold, lower temperature when it gets warmer.

Sponsored Links
The boiler needs a room thermostat to comply with part L of building regs, but it can be wired or wireless and doesnt need to be a Baxi/Main model
I agree. I was only pointing out that Main list wired devices. Which proves that the plumbing shop had got it wrong.

Thanks all for the detailed replies.
Should clarify that I'm a landlord, and not a plumber, hence may have used the wrong terms. The consensus seems to be that the first shop was either mistaken, or being economical with the truth. Will purchase and have installed tomorrow. If there are any issues will refer the plumber back to the Main details above. (y)
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back