Used WD40 on door lock what can I use instead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’ve used WD40 on my daughter’s front door lock (sprayed inside the lock from the side, not through key slot) as it was stiff to close (new composite front door about one year old). It’s easier to close now but I’ve just heard WD40 should not be used. I’ve only done it once.

Does anyone know what I can use instead or is it best to just leave it alone.

Sponsored Links
WD40 Silicon spray lubricant.

79538144-A1F4-4BDD-8DCB-8818013385E0.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sometimes a lock feels stiff if the key (less often the lock) is worn and no longer a perfect fit.

The objection is to anything that leaves an oily or greasy film, which holds dirt and grit and causes wear, so the silicone grease is also unsuitable.

Graphite powder and teflon particles are dry lubricants and suitable.

Some older greases used to stiffen with age and go hard, but I do not think I have seen that with modern grease.

What shape is the key of this lock? Cylinders should not be lubed.

Do you know the maker name?

Best makes with brass moving parts do not need lube, but can be cleaned every 20 years or so.

Is it exposed to driving rain?

Photo would help.

Last edited:
The key would turn fine, so I think the problem was the lock.

It would open fine from the inside as the lock handle would be turned to open the door, but when pulling the door shut from the outside, it appeared that you had to slam the door to shut it properly.

It's a comparatively a new door, my lubrication of the lock (from the side of the lock) allowed the door to close normally from the outside when leaving the house, without having to slam it shut.

She is around 200 miles away so I'm unable to send any photos. I now aim to leave it alone and hope for the best that it now continues to be easy to close. If she mentions any problems in the future I will look into a leaving her a Graphite Powder / Teflon spray. Thank you everyone for the useful info.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back