Union Lock on an Aluminium Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently, my wife reported that the key would not go in or turn on the lock on the front door (pictures attached).

While it did work eventually and I have since submerged the lock with plenty of WD40 from inside (by pressing the latch and also by removing the screws) and outside (through key hole), I wonder if the lock is actually on it way out.

This is due to me still feeling a small restriction when turning the key at the middle of its travel. I was going to apply some spray on grease but I am leaving WD40 to work its wonders for now.

Any help/ guide on how to remove this lock and service it would be great. If replacing is a better option, I am fine with that too.

Many thanks.
Door_lock.jpg
Door_lock2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove the 2 visible screws and slide the lock away, you can then insert the key into the cylinder outside and see if the restriction is still there or then with a flat bladed screwdriver try operating the lock to see if that's playing up, either way now might be a good time to upgrade it to a better lock and cylinder, something that can be double locked judging by the amount of glass you have in the door

Thanks Crank39,

I've another "Mortise lock with Euro Cylinder" lock on this door that is situated underneath this lock (not visible in this picture).

Can you please suggest a good replacement of this lock?

Are these locks easy to replace? If you could tell me its name, I can look up some guides/ videos online.

Edit: Just researched that its called rim cylinder lock!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back