Useful Method of connecting Hot Water Cylinder Elements.

K

kai

Here's a method I used, when my hot water cylinder needed replacement.

From the two 13amp fuse-connection units, I fed two industrial type splashpoof 16amp sockets, one for the Nightime Element, and one for the Booster element.

When the plumber came to replace the cylinder, all I needed to do was hand to him two lengths of heat resistant flex, so he could connect to the elements, and he could just plug them into the sockets.

Testing the Nightime economy seven element was easy, as the plug was placed into the Boost supply and switched on to test the element, before being plugged back into the proper socket - Labelled of Course.

Hot_Water_Cylinder200602.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
:LOL: ha ha, you've changed the title!

BTW where is the supplementary bonding from those two 15A circuits, or isn't it needed?

I think you need to tell the plumber that he needs to get a responsible adult to use the knife for him... (look just below the cutout in the foam for the top heater...)

the ease of testing the off peak heater is a plus to this method but don't kid yourself that you'r legally getting arround part P. i'm pretty sure part P counts any equipment fixed to the house as fixed equipment even if its connected via a plug/socket.

Sponsored Links
so what happens if you have a flat TV fixed to the wall? does that now come under part P to plug it in?

dont flat tvs just lift off their bracket? thought they had keyhole mounts. ;)

crafty1289 said:
dont flat tvs just lift off their bracket? thought they had keyhole mounts. ;)

dont HW cylinders just lift up and can be changed once pipes disconnected...

cylinder is fixed to pipes (more or less permenantly), pipes are fixed to house. :LOL: ;)

crafty1289 said:
cylinder is fixed to pipes (more or less permenantly), pipes are fixed to house. :LOL: ;)

the screws holding the TV are fixed, just like the pipes holding the

now look what youve started, plugwash!

andy said:
so what happens if you have a flat TV fixed to the wall? does that now come under part P to plug it in?
It "comes under Part P" as all electrical installation work in dwellings is a controlled activity. But it is not notifiable unless it is in a kitchen, a garden or a special location.

PS - Kai - you could have cleaned up and painted in there before the new cylinder was fitted... :rolleyes:

plugwash said:
the ease of testing the off peak heater is a plus to this method but don't kid yourself that you'r legally getting arround part P. i'm pretty sure part P counts any equipment fixed to the house as fixed equipment even if its connected via a plug/socket.
I don't remember there being anything specifically about fixed equipment (but I've been wrong before!) but if you're not in a special location, you can replace accessories on an existing circuit, but not add a new circuit. Now changing the previous SCUs for the commando sockets comes within this, I'd say.

And surely a circuit stops at a plug (for these purposes) because once you've unplugged something it's not part of the circuit any more, so outside Part P regardless of what it's fixed to?

Cheers,

Howard

Amendment of the Building Regulations 2000
2. - (1) The Building Regulations 2000[3] ("the principal Regulations") are amended as follows.

(2) In regulation 2(1) (interpretation) -

(a) in the definition of "controlled service or fitting" for "Part G, H, J or L", substitute "Part G, H, J, L or P";

(b) after the definition of "dwelling-house" insert -

" "electrical installation" means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter;";

HDRW said:
if you're not in a special location, you can replace accessories on an existing circuit, but not add a new circuit.

You can replace any electrical fitting even in a special location.

OH MY GOD why the hell did this thread turn into a PART P DEBATE???? The OP was a spark (i think) fitting a couple of sockets for his
immersion heaters. Then plugwash mentioned PART POO.

The whole electrics UK is turning into a PART P MINEFIELD nowadays! Please can we LET IT REST???? and let electrical advice prevail,
instead of polluting the place with mass debates about part p. Yes part p is a shambles and nobody completely understands what
"fixed wiring/appliance" actually means, but we dont need to discuss it when someone has posted a helpful thread about how he has
connected his 'mersions.

Fab idea though kai. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back