using 1 way rcd protected mains unit as a rdc protected spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to install a supply a feed to a water pump which is located underneath a bath. The idea is to feed this using the up-stairs ring which unfortunately isn't rdc protected.

I know that rcd protected switched spurs are available, but have unfortunately not been able to get hold of one in time for the job. The one way board is lying in my garage iching to be used. Can it be used as an alternative to the spur, if it is incorporated into the ring? I can't see any reason why not providing the protective breaker is correctly rated.

Incidently is there any reason why this could not be placed under the bath - there is protective board preventing access underneath the bath.

Sponsored Links
its safe, the only thing that worries me is that someone may slap in another bigger breaker especially if its actualy a 2 way rather than a one way (one way ones seem quite rare)

as for allowed by bs7671 i'll let the experts argue over that one ;)

surely your not asking if it's OK to mount a Consumer unit under a bath :eek:

Pensdown said:

Its a one way consumer unit being used to function as a fused switch spur to distrubute to the circuit located near by, ie, the pump, and not to many other circuits. It is my beleif that echnically you can place a spur under a bath provided there is restricted access.

Sponsored Links
whiz said:
Pensdown said:

Its a one way consumer unit being used to function as a fused switch spur to distrubute to the circuit located near by, ie, the pump, and not to many other circuits. It is my beleif that echnically you can place a spur under a bath provided there is restricted access.

I have been asked to install a supply a feed to a water pump which is located underneath a bath. The idea is to feed this using the up-stairs ring which unfortunately isn't rdc protected.
Special location.

I know that rcd protected switched spurs are available, but have unfortunately not been able to get hold of one in time for the job

Thats the correct way of doing it

The one way board is lying in my garage iching to be used. Can it be used as an alternative to the spur, if it is incorporated into the ring? I can't see any reason why not providing the protective breaker is correctly rated

IMO that is a bodge....in a special location......under a bath.....although it can be done

Put the one way CU next to the existing fusebox, take the ring final circuit's feed through the one way unit, and RCD protect the entire ring final circuit - much safer method. Use a B32 breaker in it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back