Using 110v tools in North America

S

sparkyspike

Any reason why UK 110v power tools designed for use with site transformers cannot be used in North America on their mains system by simply changing the plug? The mains over there is 120v/60Hz and is a three pin (Ph/N/E) like over here.

Sponsored Links
Yes I know the frequency is different. Will this be a problem though? Obviously the motor will turn at a speed relative to windings and frequency, but are there other implications?

how would you like it if i asked you to run to where ever instead of walk.

as it will be on 60hz anyhting will be working faster than it was designed for. not really a good idea is it

Sponsored Links
Well I suspect you're right. I was wondering if anyone has actually tried it though? If the tools wore themselves out quicker then that's no problem, as they would be thrown away anyway!

Think it will probably depend on the type of motor, I can't see squirrel cage motors liking it. On the other hand, it probably wouldn't matter much for universal motors which most power tools use.

I think the tools with variable speed could get damaged. Otherwise it may be worth a go. In fact I've noticed a couple of tools are marked as 50/60 Hz anyway. Thanks for the advice. I think the 'suck-it-and-see' approach will be the most conclusive.

onsite a couple of years ago this chippy turned up and got his jigsaw out. As soon as he used it i noticed just how quickly it got up to speed. Also i noticed he was using it on 230v, what also made me laugh was he had some 110v string lights 2 core cable then on the end he had attacked a socket, which he had used for various tools with no earth. At 10 after he went i had a look at his jigsaw and it was 110v, i mentioned it but he didn;t seemed bothered and said it had work for years like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back