Using 18mm tongue and groove in loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, We have a reasonable sized loft space in our house and I want to board an area of it for light storage. I have been up and looked at the joists and they all look in good condition and are roughly 2" x 4" , level and about 14" apart. I was planning on using 8ft x 2ft x 18mm tongue and groove ( which I have used before in another house and seemed ok.) I am thinking of an area about 8ft x 16ft overall. Can anyone see any problem with the weight of the chipboard over this area or should it be ok because the weight is spread over a reasonably large area.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
PS Just worked out that the total weight would be about 140 kg for this boarding but obviously spread over about 128 sq feet.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ok my thoughts if you can spread the load over an internal wall about 2ft6" either side
or between two walls in general about 6 foot apart with a 2ft overhang then the load will be well supported other than than that timbers are to support the ceiling and not much else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back