loft flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would like some help with knowing what timber to buy as counter batons for my roofspace. I have an area of 8ft x 16ft where I would like to put down the tongue and groove 8x2 chipboard, mostly for storage but i'm tempted to have an area where I can sit at a desk with a pc on it and have read in these forums about putting down counter batons if you're gonna use the space for more than light storage. The area is 8ft wide by 16ft long, can somebody suggest what size timber i should use for the batons and how far apart they should be please?

Sponsored Links
hi...well it depends on which way the floor joists will be running. You need to clarify with a strutural engineer or your local building regs, but a span 5000mm (18ft) would require 220 x 75mm C16 timber joists, fixed 400mm apart. However if the span is the other way then 2400mm (8ft) would require 145 x 38mm C16 timber joists. However its always best to over spec a little to just make sure.

Like i say, best to check with your local building control.

good luck!

Paul

However its always best to over spec a little to just make sure.
Now Paul, come on, the factors of safety on timber are mahoosif enough as it is, without wanging the size up even more than the numbers say. :rolleyes:

You stick to doing your architectural pretties and leave the standing up bits to the SEs :LOL:.

Other than that, welcome to the forum ;)!

Or us SE-lites :cool:

If the OP is counter-battening, then he can use 2x2 timber if he likes, as the existing ceiling joists will be doing the supporting - or unsupporting as the case may be :eek:

But check you can get 8x2 boards up into the loft without poking them through the felt on the way up

It seems like a cold and draughty place for a PC though

Sponsored Links
However its always best to over spec a little to just make sure.
Now Paul, come on, the factors of safety on timber are mahoosif enough as it is, without wanging the size up even more than the numbers say. :rolleyes:

You stick to doing your architectural pretties and leave the standing up bits to the SEs :LOL:.

Other than that, welcome to the forum ;)!

thanks for the welcome!....

and in response to a usual SE's jab ;)

every SE i've ever met has over speced everything. just to cover themselves....admit it, you guys always do....and yes i do the pretty side of the work, whilst i leave it to you guys to make it work, BUT (and this is an old argument which must have been waging between SE's and archys since the beginning of time) but an architect does have to produce a lot more work and deal with all the problems on site, etc....whilst the SE can walk off singing when he's finished his calcs and checked its all been put together right.... :LOL: ;) .....the old fee row...an architect earnbs sod all for doing alot, whilst the engineer earns alot for doing sod all.....

let battle commence!...:cool: :cry:

thanks for the welcome!....

and in response to a usual SE's jab ;)

every SE i've ever met has over speced everything. just to cover themselves....admit it, you guys always do....
Hahah, I'm sure that there's love in there between the professions somewhere :LOL:.

Actually, I would willingly concede that there are many (and I know more who do precisely what you say; I like to think, however, that I (and I'm not a lone drum banger) am not included in that bunch. To me, overdesigning is totally against the ethos of what we are supposed to do (design structures, with economy and elegance, to safely resist the forces to which they are subjected - must be true, it says so in our bi-monthly rag!), a monkey can press buttons and "add a bit". It incenses me that design is more often than not PI-driven; maybe my last two years in practice before I retire may lead me to adopt a more conservative approach, but until then....

And yes, the money is generally better than on your side of the fence. Rightly so, it has to be said heheh :LOL:

; maybe my last two years in practice before I retire

I never had you down as being 63. :eek:

I thought more like a bit older than me .... say mid to late 20's ? ;)

Anyway, don't forget your run-off insurance - it does not end when you put the slide rule down

Hakinha, ok at the point in time when I get to my last two years in practice :LOL:. Yes, runoff cover, don't fancy a Mr Babb type suit coming at me out of the sun when I'm sitting enjoying the weather, Tequila Sunrise in hand....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back