Using 2 wireless access points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if I have two wireless access points in a large building, both with the same SSID and passwords will they work or will they clash?
Would I be better setting different SSIDs?
I intend to hard wire them both to the same switch configuring them with different ip addresses (we tend to use fixed ip addresses as we need to be able to set remote controls to talk to certain computers on the network).
Cheers
Sparky

Sponsored Links
It'll work, but you'll likely find devices won't switch from one AP to the other unless they lose signal entirely.

Some wifi range extenders broadcast the same network - I've not quite figured out how they work - but a while back Sky broadband offered me one for free - which I accepted.

Before I had that, I used to have an old router setup as a wireless router rather than a wireless-model router, broadcasting my network ID with a "_2" at the end - and only if I lost connection would it switch - instead clinging on until the bitter end in the process.

Now it's seamless and I get signal in all rooms.

I have mine configured to work wirelessley - but it does have a RJ45 port on it. AFAIK You can use the port either extend your wireless range with a wired network bridging the gap, or plug a wired device into the wireless extender. Say for example your TV only takes wired internet - you could place the wireless extender behind it, and patch into your telly.

Strangely - both devices show up as one in "my network" it's like they have some low-level pairing - rather than a standard IP link between them.

Probably only confused the matter there - but to answer your question directly, it must be possible to do seamlessley, otherwise my sky range extender would not work, but I am not sure if a standard wireless router will allow it. I just don't know.

Cheers

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
Back