not able to access internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently did a disk cleanup on my personal computer which is 5 years old. Now I am not able to access the internet. But if I type in a particular IP address, it will load that page. How can I change the settings/networking to get it back to just "working normal" again?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
its only a guess, but i think you are NOT connected to the net, the ip address you get is one that has been cached on your pc.

He must be connected, he posted a query :D

When you say you type an ip address, do you mean that, or are you typing the URL? (80.87.131.172 is an ip address, //www.diynot.com/ is a URL).

Are you using an analogue dial up connection or broadband. What operating system.

Sponsored Links
If you can access an internet page by typing in its IP address but not its URL then you have a name resolution issue. Check your DNS settings to make sure its set for the address of your ISP's DNS server. You can do this by opening a command window and typing:

ipconfig /all

Don't post the output, but check that there is at least one valid entry against "DNS Servers".

I don't know how a disk cleanup could have hurt this, but check anyway. What version of Windows are you running??

bodger67, do not bother, klh5978 only made 2 posts, that was the last one, Americans often post and go

Back