Using 3 Core Flex for iPad Wall Mount - Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Until yesterday I had a wired wall thermostat - connected via 3 core cable (red live, blue neutral, yellow switched live).

I had a new boiler fitted yesterday which has a wireless thermostat, so the old wired one is redundant.

I wondered if I might get rid of it and instead have an iPad or similar mounted on the wall (for controlling smart devices etc.), making use of the existing wiring.

Should be quite straightforward, but would it be safe (or legal)? There's no earth cable, for example.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
There should be an earth cable for all 230 volt fixed appliances even if not used, and it has been that way since 1966, however for portable appliances then we are allowed class II with no earth, and also allowed with extra low voltage appliances, so likely it would be OK, with little risk, but the rule book still says no, and it was also no for the wall mounted thermostat to start with unless extra low voltage.

Thank you.

The wired wall thermostat was pretty ancient and the “it was like that when I got here“ excuse applies - would have been installed c. 2001 and I moved here in 04. Anyway, sounds like my idea is a no go.

not to worry

thanks for taking the time to reply

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is no earth wire? standard UK fixed wiring cables haven't been made without one for many decades, and while two core flex without an earth wire is common, 3 or more cores without an earth is very unusual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back