3-core to wire a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Apologies if the answer to this is obvious.

I decorated the lounge recently and removed a wall-light in the process. The light was wired via a 3-way terminal block with red, blue and sleeved-earth connections. A yellow wire was "cut back" within the cable, not connected, confirming this was 3-core + earth. There is a single switch controlling the light, located at the other end of the room.

Whilst my reading of the posts here would suggest 3-core is mainly used for connecting switches, is it reasonable (and particularly, is it safe) to simply re-wire the light as previously?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes. there are many wierd and wonderful, yet safe, ways of wiring lights. yours is certainly not the wierdest. lol.

Is it possible to connect the unused conductor to earth?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy reply folks (I'm used to slower responses and went off to have a go at the curtain poles) .

I could connect the "unused" yellow to the "used" earth (eg. at the same terminal). Would this be more appropriate than leaving it free?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back