Using 6" fan for kitchen extraction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, we are having some condensation problems that apear to be stemming from the kitchen and we think have appeared since we removed the extractor over the cooker as shown below.

View media item 13476
It was not used a lot as it was manky but with the chimney being open at the top there was a draw up it which helped.

So we thought we would put a simple 6" fan in with a pipe that points as far up into the chimney as I can get (about a metre+), the electrics are all there still so that side of the job is not a problem.

The ceiling you can see in the picture is 69cm above the range cooker.

Although not the ideal place to use a standard axial fan, I have seen it done before and am wondering if it is likely to survive being above the cooker? I'm not too bothered if it yellows etc. (I can always paint it lol.)

It looks like I have a choice (within my low budget) of either:
Ventaxia or slightly deeper manrose, can you reccomend another?

I have tried finding a proper over cooker vent in the past but there are none that will fit n the available space (there are obstructions 90mm above the plasterboard that would obstruct a cooker fan but not a 6" one).

Sponsored Links
You can't just put a normal extractor in there - it must have grease filters, otherwise the inside of the chimney will be coated in grease which will drip down into the kitchen. It will also be a serious fire hazard.

The ceiling you can see in the picture is 69cm above the range cooker.
If that is a gas cooker, 69cm is inadequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back