Which kitchen extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're having a new kitchen extractor fan installed - it'll be just above and to the side of the cooker, venting directly through a wall, approx half a metre thick, to the outside.
We want something really quiet, that looks simple, so are thinking of buying this:

Envirovent Silent Design SILDES150S Ultra Quiet Kitchen Fan​

Because we don't know anything about all this, we'd welcome any thoughts, suggestions, advice you may have.

Many thanks, Stephen

Sponsored Links
Why not a proper cooker hood?
Thanks for your reply,

There's a window behind the cooker, pretty much up to the ceiling, and very little light coming in as it is. We currently have a hood (though it doesn't extract) which cuts down massively on what little light we get in.

Sponsored Links
OK

I would normally fit an ICON 30 in this situation but would need more work if your ducting hole is in and ready
Thanks - the hole's not cut yet, so we have flexibility - I'll have a look.

Why would it need more work?

Why not a proper cooker hood?
In my (limited) experience, some cooker hoods are not very clever. I actually have both, The old expelair wall fan has been in years then kitchen was rehashed some years later so a cooker hood and fan went in. Sometimes it needs both to be operated in order to clear the room to any extent, especially grilling cheapo sausages etc.

Personally I would be tempted to go for a reasonably sized wall fan then a cooker hood fan as a back up type of arrangement.

Other might differ though.

OK

I would normally fit an ICON 30 in this situation but would need more work if your ducting hole is in and ready
Thanks again, after looking at the other extractor, we realize the ICON 30 is the one to go for, so very much appreciate your help, cheers.

Thanks for your reply,

There's a window behind the cooker, pretty much up to the ceiling, and very little light coming in as it is. We currently have a hood (though it doesn't extract) which cuts down massively on what little light we get in.
Is it an electric hob as a gas one cannot be installed in front of an opening window, not sure if that applies to electric or not.

Well the window could be changed to a non opening type or even (like a board) to a solid say plastic/wood sheet or a combination of both, effectively letting a little light in rather than non at all. Does that window need to be an opening one? You could even have it bricked up to become a solid wall perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back