Using a floor leveller over tarmac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage was extended forward some years ago and as a result there is now about 2 metres of the old tarmac drive inside the garage.
Over time the Tarmac has started to degrade leaving an uneven surface.
My initial thought was to lay some floor leveller over the top and then paint it, but before I do anything I wondered if someone could advise me if this is a realistic thing to do?
I'd hate to lay the leveller only to have to rip everything up 6 in months time.
If it is OK to do is there any particular product I should use?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If you are driving a car over the tarmac in the garage causing the tarmac to degrade, a few mm of leveller on it will only last months.
I hope that proper foundations have been dug through the tarmac for the walls of the garage. It could be that the internal tarmac is only an inch thick and was just used to make up the difference in the new concrete floor level. If this is the case dig it up and replace with concrete.
Frank

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the response.
As with most garages, the car never gets to be driven into it!
I thinks the degradation is due to the time it's been down so I'll get the shovel out and see how deep it's laid.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
As the tarmac is non-porous and bitumen, you should not use a standard cement/water product but use a latex based product which has better adhesion. Some of these are marketed as 'latex screeds'.

Otherwise it should OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back