using a immersion heater circuit for 13A outlet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in the process of beginning work splitting my large bathroom ito a smaller one, and a bedroom.
In the part that is to be a bedroom is the ex airing cupboard, with the old immersion heater supply still live.

My plan is if possible to split the ring into 2, one for down, one for up but dont know yet if this will be easy to acheive.

If not i want to know if its acceptable to use the immersion heater circuit to put 3 x double sockets on for the new bedroom, and if so would i need to add an FCU? there is already a 16A rcd in the consumer unit.
the existing wire is 2.5mm Twin & Earth.

Sponsored Links
providing the immersion is comming out then there is no problem at all turning a 2.5mm² radial into a socket radial..

maximum breaker / fuse size should not exceed 20A.. but since it's already on a 16A then that's fine..

thanks, thought so, the immersion isnt there anyway, it was replaced about 3 years ago with a combi boiler downstairs, the tanks have been removed, just the cables and isolators left.

Sponsored Links
please note that if the immersion circuit is not currently connected in the consumer unit then you would be adding a circuit and would need to notify the LABC before you start work..
you may have to notify them anyway since you are making alterations to the fabric of the building..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back