using a plane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to take a tiny little bit off an interior door but have never used a plane, whats better to use and get a better finish, an eletric one or hand one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you have never used an electric plane,then be very careful.
before you use 1 in anger on a door,i would recomend using a few test pieces of scrap so that you become more confident.
using a hand plane will be easier for you to tackle but may take an age to trim down,especially on end grain.
and allways work on to the timber,i:e end grain will split out.even worse with an electric planer.

If you're working with the grain, tuck the fingers of your left hand under the plane, thumb on the top. Stops it wandering....
BUT PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS WITH AN ELECTRIC ONE :eek:

If the grain starts to rip, plane from the opposite direction.
Planing end grain is a real technique and calls for a razor sharp plane.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Electric is must quicker, mark with pencil line on both sides so you can see if you are keeping straight and level, you must work from both ends, or the end with splinter off. Do not put fingers anywhere near blade, I can confirm it hurts :oops: and leaves you with a square finger. ;)

How many mill is "a tiny little bit"? Depending on the type, the doors have limitations about how much you can trim. I personally use a power plane. Watch that the plane is properly positioned (not tilted) and move it steady and with the same speed along the length you are trimming. If you keep it longer at some place it will go deeper in the timber in no time, try to avoid this. In some cases I use circular saw first and if necessary finish with the plane.

How many mill is "a tiny little bit"? Depending on the type, the doors have limitations about how much you can trim. I personally use a power plane. Watch that the plane is properly positioned (not tilted) and move it steady and with the same speed along the length you are trimming. If you keep it longer at some place it will go deeper in the timber in no time, try to avoid this. In some cases I use circular saw first and if necessary finish with the plane.

ey? what electric planer do you use that if you leave in one place it carries on chewing up the timber? I would get a refund if i was you.

to op if you decide to do it yourself with either plane then remember a leading edge.
imagine if you were looking down the line of the door/jamb, it should look like this \ or this / ;)

Very strange plane you have there :confused:

i think he may be getting confused with a belt sander lads easily done :D :D :D

after several pints ;)

i was going to suggest a belt sander if it was only a mm or two as holding a power plane to stop front end dip and rip as it comes off the work is a bit off an art as is lifting the plane "lightly" at the end off a stoke to prevent a step

I am surprised now. Have you guys never seen a plane chewing up the timber if left in one place? :confused: I've seen it twice done by different people, different planes. One of them has never used a power plane before. And it really happened in no time - a nice round dent in the door, fortunately not too deep.

the only way you can go deeper than the set depth off the front plate is iff you go beyound the end without transferring the pressure to the heel to stop dip
in other words not using the tool correctly which as you say is easy for a novice :oops: :oops: ;)

Actually both times I've seen it, the plane was at the beginning of the door edge and I guess the heel was lower that the datum plane. But yes, you are right, it can only happen at the ends and it is easy for a novice to use the tools incorrectly, no need to flash :LOL:

The OP seems to be a novice with the plane so I decided to warn him. Not that I have plenty of experience myself but I learn from other peoples' mistakes :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back