Using a pump to empty central heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got 2 situations that I'm thinking of pumping out central heating ...

The first is a property in which there is a combo boiler with rads on the ground floor, and a rad in the basement. The system needs draining for renovations. The drain valve is on the ground floor. Would it be possible to attach a pump to the HIGHEST point in the system and pump it out?

The second situation is a house that has one non working rad. It would appear there is an airlock just before the non working rad that won't budge. Could a pump be fitted to the top of this rad to suck the water through and release the airlock?

Anyone done this?

Thanks!

Huey

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I've got 2 situations that I'm thinking of pumping out central heating ...

The first is a property in which there is a combo boiler with rads on the ground floor, and a rad in the basement. The system needs draining for renovations. The drain valve is on the ground floor. Would it be possible to attach a pump to the HIGHEST point in the system and pump it out?

Drain it out of the basement rad?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The second situation is a house that has one non working rad. It would appear there is an airlock just before the non working rad that won't budge. Could a pump be fitted to the top of this rad to suck the water through and release the airlock?

what sort of pump are you thinking of?

Anyone done this?

not me!!

Thanks!

Huey

Sponsored Links
Drain the majority from the ground floor and basement rad into containers.

Second point... Completely pointless. If you turn off every rad except the non working one and run the heating you've done the same thing without any extra work.

Drain the majority from the ground floor and basement rad into containers.

Second point... Completely pointless. If you turn off every rad except the non working one and run the heating you've done the same thing without any extra work.
Not necessarily, as the heating 'pump' is only a circulator. Turn off all other rads and try backfilling from a drain cock.

Not necessarily, as the heating 'pump' is only a circulator. Turn off all other rads and try backfilling from a drain cock.
Works for me 9 times out of 10. It may well be a circulator but when you force it to circulate where you want it to then the head is usually enough to push the air through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back