Using an electric shaver?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got one of these for Christmas:

https://www.boots.com/philips-wet-and-dry-electric-shaver-5000-s5530-06-10233198

63530EC0-6465-42A5-BEC4-CCCA6F10C558.png

To have a decent shave it would take me hours, i’ve told my missus it’s crap and she thinks I must be doing it wrong.

I tried it wet with foam and dry, both using circular motions and it shaved some hair but left loads and when I went over the missed bits it didn’t get them.

My mum gave me some pre electric shave which looks like it’s from the 70’s so i’m not too keen on that.

Does anyone successfully shave with an electric truck shaver? What’s your technique?

Sponsored Links
IME, pretty much any disposable razor will give a better shave than an electric shaver.

Is there any particular reason (other than having received the electric one for a gift, or shaving while driving, for example), that you would prefer not to use a razor?

I think I heard that when you change, it takes a while for the sharp ends of the bristles from a razor to wear down, before the electric shaver gives a good result.

Sponsored Links
I’ve got one of those, a 9000 series though. Great at first and then seemed not to work. They do need regular cleaning as the heads clog up and they don’t do too well on two or three day old growth. I bought a cheap Boots one for that - about £25 I think and it’s much better. I bought it after seeing it come top in some electric razor chart. I prefer a wet shave though if I’m going out but I use the electric razor on work days as I can shave while having me morning s hit!

I got one of these for Christmas:

https://www.boots.com/philips-wet-and-dry-electric-shaver-5000-s5530-06-10233198

View attachment 156223
To have a decent shave it would take me hours, i’ve told my missus it’s crap and she thinks I must be doing it wrong.

I tried it wet with foam and dry, both using circular motions and it shaved some hair but left loads and when I went over the missed bits it didn’t get them.

My mum gave me some pre electric shave which looks like it’s from the 70’s so i’m not too keen on that.

Does anyone successfully shave with an electric truck shaver? What’s your technique?
My technique is bin it and wet shave.

IME, pretty much any disposable razor will give a better shave than an electric shaver.

Is there any particular reason (other than having received the electric one for a gift, or shaving while driving, for example), that you would prefer not to use a razor?
Cos he is a girl..Shave whilst driving?..Great idea..do you touch up your lippy too ?

No, just because it was a gift but I do get a red top lip after I shave which flakes off the next day.

Try this? Old fashioned smell, but I find it works better. Cheap too!
https://www.boots.com/boots-electricpre-shave-freshwood-10093561

That’s the stuff my mum gave me, it smells like a urine sample.

I think I heard that when you change, it takes a while for the sharp ends of the bristles from a razor to wear down, before the electric shaver gives a good result.

Maybe i’ll give it some more time.

They do need regular cleaning as the heads clog up and they don’t do too well on two or three day old growth.

I’ll give it a go tonight, I wet shaved yesterday before going to the dentist :(

My technique is bin it and wet shave.

That’s more than likely what will happen. It does have a trimmer attachment which could be useful for Monday’s.

I use one of these......

Need a steady hand, and time though (unless you want to bleed half to death:oops:)(y)

I wouldn’t trust myself with yours!!

The redness is just turning to flakes after wet shaving at 4o’clock yesterday:

900D57CB-13B1-4EBD-81D5-664333A42095.jpeg

I used a Nivea post shave cream too.

get a water softener, if you're going to wet shave.

That’s the stuff my mum gave me, it smells like a urine sample.
Ha ha, harsh! It's an old fashioned smell, not a smell of old people?!
Just be thankful you're not of an era that pretty much just had Old Spice and Hai Karate aftershave, and always ended up with one from Santa...

get a water softener, if you're going to wet shave.

That’s interesting. I just googled and apparently the water in my area is soft. Is that what the softener would do?

41EF99BA-0881-420A-844D-32B81A5FBF95.png

Sponsored Links
Back