Using B&Q Interior Plaster Sealer and Dulux For Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts,

i have put up new ceiling and walls covered in Plasterboard and applied a skim on the lot. Then decided that it would be a good idea to 'Seal' the areas where the light fittings go and all the corners.
So i applied B7Q interior Plaster Sealer - 2 coats and then 2 coates of Dulux For Plaster to all these areas.
they have been drying for a couple of days and are fully dry now.

Not know what i did my Painter washed all the ceilings and walls in PVA solution...
BUT now i am putting on an undercoat of White Trade Matt Emulsion but those areas which I covered with the B&Q sealer and Dulux stuff appear not to paint as well as the rest of the ceilings and walls???
I need help - what can i do to remove the sealers cos i think that is the problem but i could be wrong - so i have come to the experts..can u help??

Sponsored Links
If your decorator put PVA on new plaster as a primer before painting sack him; he’s a complete knob & hasn’t got a clue wht he’s doing :rolleyes: He’s given you a massive problem as you’ve found out. All you can do is try to remove it with water (standard PVA is water soluble) but at least it's not gone straight onto bare plaster, still may be very difficult; if not you'll have to go over it with a stain block or oil based primer/undercoat & then try again.

Cheap matt emulsion thinned 25-30% is as good a primer as any for new plaster, apply 2 coats in quick sucession, leave overnight then your chosen paint finish

Would agree with Richard C . I come across this problem all the time when people have rooms skimmed then take advice from their plasterers or the experts at B&Q and Wickes about applying a coat of PVA to the new plaster first . I turn up, try and explain that the first coat will be a mist coat and that PVA should never be used . All you need is cheap contract white matt thinned down about 20% with water followed by 2 coats of emulsion, colour and finish to suit . Sometimes you may need to thin top coats down slightly to ease application, about 10% depending on brand of paint and painting conditions .

Sponsored Links
then take advice from their plasterers or the experts at B&Q and Wickes about applying a coat of PVA to the new plaster first.
I AM a plasterer (amongst other things) :cool: ;) I can assure you that no pro plasterer I know would ever suggest priming a new skim with PVA before painting; not sure about the knob heads in BNQ though. :LOL:

Seriously, I do not understand this THING that everyone seems to have with PVA. It is a plasterers best friend but its basically wood glue so why does everyone think it’s some sort of magic potion that should be applied to everything to make a better job when, in many cases, it has completely the opposite effect. The renovation work I do also includes bathrooms & tiling & I have the same problem there; we get so much of it on this forum I sometimes think I must sound like a broken record.

I mix me mist coats a bit thinner than 20% & give it 2/3 in quick succession but I agree with thinning the top coats, I always do the same; makes life much easier & gives a better finish. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back