Using CH Rad as heat leak for woodburners occasional use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purely speculative, just thinking aloud really.

I have a wood-burner, with back boiler, that is connected via gravity flow to an upstairs hot water cylinder. The cylinder will get completely hot and the back boiler will start to sing.
I realise that there needs to be a radiator also connected to the gravity circuit to bleed off excess heat.

On the upstairs landing is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. It backs onto a cupboard which could be useful.

I am considering my options to be able to use this radiator on the wood burner, when lit in winter, and on the CH system when the wood-burner is not lit.

I would re-plumb the rad to be top feed and bottom exit, but need to contrive some changeover mechanism. I think using motorised valves is too complex and bulky and hand valves would be good.

Any thoughts, re 4 gate valves, lever valves, anything else or give up on the idea.
If I need to install controls then the cupboard behind the rad would be a good place.

Both systems are well inhibited so exchange of water should not be an issue.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Rules and regulations exist for this kind of work, you need a hetas installer unless you can carry the work out yourself and then get building control in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back