Using chipboard for bathroom fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently doing a bathroom renovation and need to mount something between studs to mount showers/mirrors/shower screens etc. Tile backer boards will then go over the top. I know ply is the obvious answer but I have loads of 22mm P5 chipboard flooring offcuts floating around, would this be OK to use as a baseboard for mounting?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
No reason not to as long as it is going to be sealed and water cant get to it. The other process I would follow would be to use a paintable waterproofing tanking membrane and coat anything that can't handle water to any degree.

I repair so many bathroom floors where the shower has leaked and destroyed the P5 below it. Worst thing that these developers use in houses and bathrooms/kitchen or anywhere else it can get wet. Last one was where a P5 floor rotted and shower dropped 5 inches.

Worst thing I ever saw was a 220L unvented cylinder in an attic I had been asked to service that was sitting on a piece of 22mm original caber floor across the joists, the seal on the immersion element had gone and it leaked down onto the caber and the cylinder had sunk into it and was sitting at an angle between the attic joists, you should have seen the clients face when I asked them to come up and have a look. :eek: o_O:cry:

Thanks mate, it's only for mounting smaller fixtures, I'll find a stud for heavier items. Yes it will be over boarded with tile backer board and then tanked as well. Just wanted to make sure the chipboard would hold a fixing ok. I've tried a couple of test pieces and it seems decent enough

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to make sure the chipboard would hold a fixing ok. I've tried a couple of test pieces and it seems decent enough
It will certainly hold fixings well enough, just as long as it's not carrying a huge amount of pulling weight (as against shearing weight)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back