Using Crimps instead of JBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

As it has been said in various, you can not use JBs where they are inaccessible for inspection etc.

My situation is that I want to have two wall lights being switched by one switch and I want to put a box in the ceiling which will 'act' as JB, but will perminantly crimpted.

As I have not used crimps before, I don't know what I am looking for and where to get them from. If I search for crimps (in CPC/RS for example) all I seem to find is the automotive connector types - but I doubt these are the ones! :)

Could someone point me in the right direction for the crimp terminals and also a decent but fairly cheap tool to use (as I am only doing a few).

Also, how will I join upto 4 cables (ring in, ring out, light one, light two, switch)to the crimp terminal?

Thanks for any help

Regards

Adam.

Sponsored Links
Ring in, ring out? Lighting? :eek: :confused:

Also, I've yet to see a crimp that caters for more than two cables - one in, one out. If you start using a larger crimp for multiple cables then you'll create a poor connection.

Ring in, ring out? Lighting?
Only way I could quickly describe it :)

Also, I've yet to see a crimp that caters for more than two cables - one in, one out. If you start using a larger crimp for multiple cables then you'll create a poor connection.

That is what I was thinking also as the other posts only seemed to talk about 'inline' connections eg joining two cables together.

How would you suggest making this type of lighting connection perminant where you cannot access the box?

Sponsored Links
luminaire said:
Screwfix
sell crimps, red blue & yellow as well as the crimping tool.

Thanks for the link - not as expensive as I thought.

Do you have a link to the correct crimps. the only ones I can see are: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331814&ts=93315&id=90867

Are these classed as perminant, even though you can pull them apart?

How can you connect more that two cables with this?

Also, what is the best way to protect the exposed parts - I assume somekind of heatshrink?

Thanks

Ad.

that's not the right kind. You want these. On wire in one end, one wire in the other.

p1733620_l.jpg

Red, blue and yellow will cover you from 1mm to 6mm (all the common domestic sizes)

Red 0.5mm-1.5mm². Blue 1.5mm-2.5mm². Yellow 4.0mm-6.0mm²

When you are talking about the in/out/lamp1/lamp2, this is usually done using the terminals in the ceiling rose or similar fitting. So are the connections for the switch. lighting circuits are radials not rings.

Hi John

As I will be have two wall lights only, I will not have a ceiling rose to connect the cables, hense the reason why I want a 'box' in the ceiling to connect the cables to.

This box will be inaccessable so I can't use the usual JB which would be used.

What else could I use if the crimps are not the correct things to use?

Thanks

Ad.

something in the wall behind the lamps then.

say, a metal box with connector block inside.

You might be able to get by with plaster-depth boxes.

Or your lamps may (should) have their own connector blocks

Treat the connector block at the wall as you would a ceiling rose

Then the terminals wil be accessible when the lamps are removed or dismantled (leave plenty of slack)

Or chase a single / double 25mm backbox into the wall, make connections in there with terminal blocks and cover with a blank plate. Just mark up the rear of the blank plate with something like living room wall light connections.

A plasterboard box sunk into the ceiling, where you need the joint. Blank plate over it, painted to suit the ceiling.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping for a solution which was 'perminant' and didn't show in the room - eg back boxes etc.

Could I solder the connections in a plastic box mounted in the ceiling void and then put somekind of heatshrink over them?

If I can, is there a special iron and solder/flux I would need to do a proper job?

Thanks

Ad.

I don't understand the problem you are trying to solve.

wall lamps usually have a back-plate to fix them to the wall, which you can fit the box and plate behind.

Wall-washers and other plaster lamps can be fitted over the box.

If necessary you can even use an architectural-size box which is only about an inch wide x 3 inches high but will accommodate a connector block.

this is the usual way to do it. you surely weren't thinking of having live cables just poking out of the plaster?

JohnD said:
...surely weren't thinking of having live cables just poking out of the plaster?

This is new to me. Is it now not acceptable to tape up connector blocks (safely) and bury behind the wall light?

no

a connector block needs to be accessible

the wall-box is very suitable for this.

JohnD said:
I don't understand the problem you are trying to solve.

wall lamps usually have a back-plate to fix them to the wall, which you can fit the box and plate behind.

Wall-washers and other plaster lamps can be fitted over the box.

If necessary you can even use an architectural-size box which is only about an inch wide x 3 inches high but will accommodate a connector block.

this is the usual way to do it. you surely weren't thinking of having live cables just poking out of the plaster?

Hi,

Because we don't know which wall lights we are going to have yet, I don't want to limit myself to have the back plate of the light over a certain size to hide a box sunk into the wall.

Also, if I am correct, I will need 4 cables coming down the wall to one of the lights (switch, power to light #2, and 2xcircuit cables. - note that the light will have a window inbetween so I can't go across to power the second light). I just thought it would be easier and tidier to make the connections perminant in the ceiling space and therefore not have any blanking plates showing on the wall etc.

you surely weren't thinking of having live cables just poking out of the plaster?

I don't understand the statement. Surely you are going to have live cables coming out of the plaster connecting to a light? How else will you power light? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back