Using Crimps instead of JBs

No-one has yet asked, 'What is above the ceiling?'
If it is a bed room, surely there is a lose board to the centre ceiling light, use that as your access.
dave

Sponsored Links
Why not fit a deeper box to the switch and use that as your junction box using terminal blocks (taped up when finished).

Take a twin to the switch containing live, neutral and earth and two cables going out radially to the lights.

Live will go directly to the common of the switch, you should be able to get the two browns going to the lights together in the other side of the switch. All three of the neutrals will go into a terminal block as will the three earths+a link to the metal back box.

Try to avoid JBs if possible, definately avoid crimps (they are for cars etc not 230v power circuits, personal opinion).

If you use a 25mm deep box, that should be ample room for the cables, terminals and switch. All eneds of the cables will be easily accessible.

Alternatively, take the cables to a single socket box in the bedroom (or other) above at socket hight, which won't look out of place.
Then cover with a blank.

JohnD said:
If necessary you can even use an architectural-size box...
Do you mean architrave, or are you referring to a female architect? :confused:

Sponsored Links
perhaps I meant architrave.

p4256064_l.jpg

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs...

dave.m said:
If it is a bed room, surely there is a lose board to the centre ceiling light, use that as your access.

IMO that is not an accesible joint. All it takes is for someone to fit laminate floor (or carpet and general bedroom furniture for that matter) and hey presto! an inaccessible joint

briwire said:
using terminal blocks (taped up when finished).

There is absoloutly no need to tape up the connectors. It just leaves them covered in a sticky residue for the next poor fellar thet has to work on them.

Do you go round taping up the back of every switch and socket too?

definately avoid crimps (they are for cars etc not 230v power circuits, personal opinion).

It might be personal opinion but it is wrong. Crimps (when applied with a proper ratchet crimper) are designed for, and completely safe for use on mains wiring. They provide a far superior connection over a screwed joint.

RF Lighting said:
briwire said:
using terminal blocks (taped up when finished).
There is absoloutly no need to tape up the connectors. It just leaves them covered in a sticky residue for the next poor fellar thet has to work on them.
Self-amalgamating tape would be better.

But there is still no need to tape connectors.

Why are some people obsessed with taping everything up?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

I will probably opt for connecting it all up in a deeper backbox. At least here it is accessable and I do not then have any extra blanking plates on a wall.

dave

This is in the lounge and therefore there is another floor above (bedroom). I do not wish to have a hole cut for access to something in the ceiling, as someone else stated, if I decided to put non-carpet flooring down it will become inaccesable.

Thanks

Adam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back