Using GRP to make a seat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering making a replacement for a moulded seat for a wheelchair, as the existing seat is nearing the end of it's useful life.
Can anyone point me towards a source of materials, and techniques etc. to make home grown fibreglass mouldings to make a seat?

I did some work with GRP at school, but that was more years ago than I care to remember :(
I dare say materials and techniques may well have improved in the 30 - odd years since.

Sponsored Links
As far as iKnow technique is still the same, you have to make a mould first (thats the hardest part) try google there are lots of grp suppliers / 1 day courses on there.

Here's a suggestion, race car seat are made by sitting on a bag of mixed quick setting foam, so moulding to your bum perfectly. Maybe layup over that. Or how about "memory foam" like they make fancy mattresses out of?... or GRP wise... carve a seat out of Polystyrene to your own tastes, coat that in plaster of paris. and then make a mould from that.

Sponsored Links
That's roughly the way I was thinking about the job.

My idea was to start by making a sacrificial male mould from the existing seat with a bin liner and some cans of foam filler whilst the wheelchair is unoccupied. Once that's done I can then fettle it at my lesure to add the hard points and mounting flanges etc. that I will need on the GRP version laid up over the bin liner. At least there will be padding fitted on top of the GRP, so the finish isn't critical.

The fun bit will probably be digging the bin bag and bits of foam out afterwards. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back