Using Hammer Frame Fixers For Exterior Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help with this as its beginning to frustrate me as to what I am doing wrong.

I have built a new exterior door frame and door and they both fit inside the frame space in the rear wall of my house. The problem comes with fixing the door frame to the wall. I have purchased 10mm x 100mm hammer fixings and have drilled a 10mm hole through both the door frame and the sandstone blocks beyond to a depth longer than the fixing.

The trouble is when hammering in the fixings. They go 3/4 of the way in then lock solid and any further heavy hammering starts to buckle the head of the screw. Sometimes the nylon plug slips into the hole as well which doesnt help as it has to be drilled out before starting again.

I've been putting the nylon insert all the way into the hole flush with the frame then putting in the screw. Is this right or should I leave it pre-assembled.

I thought these things were just tapped home with maybe a final tightening with the screwdriver? Or should they be hammered or just screwed? Somethings not right here. Can anyone shed some light here :(

Sponsored Links
you iant sposed to separate em

but if you manage to get the plastic bit all the way in.. you should screw the screw in and not hammer it cus with the plastic bit being all the way in, your hammerrring is just buckling it up under the screw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back