using lighting circuit to run 2 different led's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my first time on the forum. I wish to remove my ceiling pendant light and run 2 sets of low voltage led's (each with their own transformer) from the existing light circuit. My problem is that the transformer for one of the leds is built into the plug and for various reasons (too complex to to go into now) cannot put a plug socket into the ceiling. Access from above is limited but I have cut a small hole in the plasterboard near the joists so one of my light sources (for fibre optic) can go above the ceiling and onto a joist.

My question is can I put a plug socket onto the joist above the plasterboard near my light source? I would also then need a spur from that plug to power the second transformer (that bit is easy can cut the plug off and wire directly if needs be). Its a 3 storey house so there is no insulation by the joists presenting fire risk.

Also the DC lead from the transformer is not that long and have been advised by supplier not to extend it (presumably because of voltage drop).

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Could you not dump the led plug wart and use a driver, http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-driver-transformers.html?gclid=CNWJgs7xyLECFRMgtAodKxAAgg

You can then wire it direct to the SL-N-E already available.

Plug sockets can't go directly from a light circuit LNE since a numpty might put a 13 amp load through a 6 amp lighting circuit. If you must then a fspur with a 3 amp fuse should sit between the lighting circuit and the socket.

There is also the issue of access to the socket.

If you could elaborate on the type of led lights and post links maybe the same stuff could be got as bare components allowing you to get the LEDs, and driver as separate items and wire direct to the existing wiring?

I am not sure - I know LED's can be a bit flakey like that. This is the light source for my fibre optics http://starkits.co.uk/ProductImages.aspx?ProductId=2439029 which is I think a superbright LED bulb and comes with the plug transformer. The box has a female DC input for the power.

The Other lights are LED 5050 RBG strip lights so would run off this kind of transformer

From memory I think the LED light source states its 1-5 watts power and the transformer is 05 amp inout and 3 amp output. Not sure what I can get away with using something else

Sponsored Links
I have been looking at the link at I think this would definitely be the way to go but my knowledge of transformers is not great. Do I need to ensure the output current is the same or greater than my present transformer (I checked it and it's 1.5 amps not 3) or is it the wattage that's important?

I'd just fit a 13A socket to the lighting circuit and plug in the transformer you have. At least you know it's the right one, and it saves buying another one.

If I did fit plug above the ceiling it would be close to where the hole in the ceiling is for the fibre optic light source but would be covered by removable mdf panel screwed into battens below so hopefully proving more numpty proof.

Also removable panel would mean it would mean it is available for inspection and therefore meet the regs? At least that is what I have understood from reading other threads in this forum but happy to be corrected!

I think the driver would an altogether neater solution and less time consuming to wire and fit but am still not sure which to go for. The 6w driver provides enough wattage for the bulb but the output amps are 500mA and the output of my current transformer is 1.5A. I have seen a 20w driver which delivers an output of 1.67A (acc to the technical data anyway). Have read that LED drivers don't require a mimimum output and so in theory that should work but as I said need some advice from the experts if am to go that route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back