Using masking tape on windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my front window casements re-made in hardwood double glazed units and now want to paint them.

I've just put on some masking tape so that I can apply some coats of undercoat and then gloss.

Having not used masking tape before can it remain on until the last gloss coat and then be removed when that coat is still wet or do I have to remove after each coat?

Should I also leave a couple of mms gap to the wood so that the paint seals the glass joint?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Do not use standard white masking tape. The sun will make the glue go rock hard after a couple of days.

Use the blue UV "safe" tape.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pa...Professional+UV+Resistant+Masking+Tape/p30227

No need to remove the tape after each coat of paint but be advised that if you apply too much paint you may be lfet with a jagged edge when you remove the tape.

I assume that the glass is held in place with a flexible, paint-able "caulk", if yes there is no need to leave a small gap.

Fortunately I had bought some of the blue UV tape.

The units have been fitted with a low modulus clear silicone as recommended by the glazing supplier. I was thinking about putting a very small fillet of acrylic sealer around the join especially on the outside.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Fortunately I had bought some of the blue UV tape.

The units have been fitted with a low modulus clear silicone as recommended by the glazing supplier. I was thinking about putting a very small fillet of acrylic sealer around the join especially on the outside.

Richard

Don't use acrylic sealer use an ms polymer. They are like silicone but can be painted over (you normally need to apply waterbased primer first). Examples include Sikaflex and CT1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back