using multifoil insulation with 'Kingspan'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd post this for the benefit of others who might have been considering this option.

I'm renovating an old property and want to show off the old oak purlins to their best advantage. Pitched roof. The rafters are about 100mm deep.

In an ideal world, and if you believe the manufacturers and even more importantly Building Control accept their claims, then I'd simply have spent the money and put a good multifoil insulation under the rafters and then plasterboarded over the top.

Twas not to be. I could put some foam insulation between the rafters - say about 55-65mm leaving me the airgap as required (50mm or 25mm - depends on the local BCO as far as I can see). That would leave the thermal bridging due to the rafters to sort out. My local BCO wanted more insulation. He wanted another 65mm which would eat into the visible amount of purlin and reduce the room size. I asked if I could use multifoil thinking that that would only take up 25-30mm and he agreed.

He then pointed out that multifoil needed an airgap on both sides and this was news to me. So I checked and he is right. I need 25mm on both sides and so that means a total of 50mm eating into the room.

Foam = 65mm and relatively cheap
Multifoil = 50mm and pretty expensive.

All for a saving of less than one inch. I don't think so somehow.

Sponsored Links
Good point, my local BC in Greenwich would not let me go near multifoil for my ext last year.
The license it was granted was temporary and subject to review apparently it does not do as it says on the tin!.

I see B&Q are now selling it at knock down as a radiator heat deflector.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back