Using paint to get rid of an odour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to paint a few of my rooms. There is a faint odour in a couple of the rooms. I am suspicious that it is because of previous occupants and the smell of their habbits is clinging to the walls.

Is there a paint I can use that will seal the pours of previous decor, so effectively destroying any smells that maybe lingering in the walls?

Sponsored Links
Zinsser coverstain is a good sealer. Its reccomended over fire/smoke damage and apparantly does seal in the odour from this so may work for you. Be a good idea to sugarsoap the walls first.

hi,if you find your local johnstones paints,dulux centre or crown shop just call in and ask there advise,you will find they all do there own products for all applications.ask them for a sealer and they should be able to help.you will find johnstones will be the cheapest.zinsser products are good but they are also expensive so bare this in mind

Sponsored Links
There was a paint out a few years ago that was supposed to be odour neutralising but was rapped by Trading Standards as the claims were unproven.
This is from America, but don't know if you can get it over here: http://www.dutchboy.com/refresh/room-demo/
I have to agree with the other responses though - use Zinsser or similar to seal it, but you will probably find that a couple of coats of regular emulsion will eliminate most smells anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back