Using pre soldered copper fittings and tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want some tips in using pre soldered copper fittings, I'm doing a hopefully simple job of adding a small radiator in my toilet it's basically a couple of 'T' joints off flow and return and a couple of right angles into the valves on the rad, I know to clean the ends of the pipes with wire wool so they shine and debur where I cut also to brush flux onto the ends but what then with the heat where to apply and should you cool with a damp rag ???[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Heat the ends of the pipes gently first, working towards the fitting, then concentrate heat on one of the joints until you see the solder appear in the gap. Then move quickly to the next then the next. Don't over do it or the solder will run out completey. Leave to 'set' for a few seconds then you can wipe with a damp cloth to remove excess flux.

try a practice on some spare pipe and fittings first.

Don't cool your work, just have a heat resistant mat behind if you're concerned about a scorched wall :p
Use a dab of extra flux, heat from the bottom joint (heat travelling upwards) and don't even start if the pipe is the slightest bit wet. You'll find if the solder doesn't seem to flow, a tiny amount of extra solder gets it going.
Have a practice run on some spare pieces first!
When you've done the job, flush the new connections out....seriously.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back