Using Ronseal Garden furniture Stain - softwood or hardwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i have some garden furniture which needs to be resanded and re stained and protected. It is hardwood type.

I have used Ronseal Garden furniture stain before (dark rosewood) and very happy with the results. The only problem is that they provide furniture stain for softwood and hardwood (hardwood is brown tin top and softwood is green tin top) but the colour i require which is dark oak, is only availbale in the softwood tin.

So my question is would that be ok to use on hardwood (even though it says for softwood). It is just that they do not offer this colour for the hard wood option. I can't see there being a big differnece surely. I know they have seperated it but could i use the softwood dark oak stain on hardwood.

Be grateful for any thoughts.

Many thanks
Seb

Sponsored Links
Does it have to be Ronseal? I've used Colron Jacobean dark oak on hardwood (well, oak actually) and it gave it a nice aged colour. Bear in mind though that a woodstain is just that - a stain. If you want to protect the wood from the elements you need to use something else. You can oil oak, or you could use a matt polyurethane varnish.

Hi there Nick, thanks for your suggestion.
It doesnt have to be ronseal but the only reason i like it is that recently i used the dark rosewood and it gave a nice coating. It wasnt watery and gave a thick oiled coating. Its not really like a normal stain in that it is an oil based stain and so protects it as well and no need to teak oil it really.Although i have given the others a teak coat as well.

If there is any other garden furniture stains outhere though i would be interested, as long as it is an oil based type. Also i am not sure on the oak now anyway, was thinking walnut but unfortunately they dont offer it in the ronseal furniture stain selection. the closest is the oak colour. But still wondereing if it would be ok to use the oak softwood stain on hardwood furniture.

Thanks
Seb

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back