Using "Ronseal One Coat Cupboard Paint - Melamine &

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of pine (but not solid pine) bedside chests similar to the one pictured here :

[http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINE-BEDSIDE-TABLE-PORTLAND-/120683067088?pt=UK_Bedroom_Furniture&hash=item1c194576d0#ht_500wt_1156]

I want to paint them ivory to match my new decor and bought the above product today in order to do so. Forgive me for my ignorance, (I don't want to ask my fella as I wanted to do this as a little surprise), can you tell me, have I bought the correct product? I'm not sure whether I should have bought a product for wood. The bedside chests are not solid pine but they do have treated knots in the surface. If I've bought the wrong product could you tell me a more suitable alternative please?

Also, I watched an American 'how to...' video and they said easier and less messy than sanding down the surface would be to use a liquid de-glosser. I searched for this on B&Q's website with no returns. Is it called something different in the UK?

Finally, if this little job is a success I will then turn my hand to painting the kitchen cupboards which are a laminate. This may be a stupid question to all you lads but would I have to sand these down, or use a de-glosser, or does it need no preparation other than to make sure they are thoroughly washed down?

Many thanks in advance.

Daisy

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well you have bought the right product, what you need to do is flat back the surface with 120 grit wet, harsh sanding will scratch the surface and these scratches will show through the paint work. Dust off and wipe down with a cloth dampened in spirit allow to dry and your ready to apply your paint.

Dec

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you know anything about the liquid de-glosser?

Also, wasn't sure whether your reply applied to the laminate kitchen cupboards AND the bedside tables or just one of them. Is it the same process for both?

Thanks for your help - it is so much appreciated.

For the two use 240 grit wet, and one thing I forgot to mention is when sanding work in the direction of any apparent graining that is present, I think I may have misread your first post regarding those cabinets.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Many thanks :)

And, the liquid de-glosser? Would it be ok to use this instead of sanding down, and if so do you know what it's called in stores here in the UK, I can't find it listed on B&Q's website.

Sorry, hopefully the last question!

No not in your situation these are often called liquid sandpaper and contain a lot of nasty things, and you would be far better off to leave well alone.

Dec

If you want a simple solution without the fuss of sanding, forget liquid sanders or ESP's (Easy Surface Primers) and try Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 as a base for the Ronseal cupboard paint. It should also block any possible stains from already treated knots you say there are.

http://zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=355

It can be fairly expensive if you need a lot, so it might be advisable to test it on one cupboard first.

No I think where my confusion came from here was the mention of not solid pine and the mention of knots, I think we speak of melamine and laminate. Actually this product has superb adherence to both and is one of the Ronseal range that really does do what is says on the tin.

Dec

Many thanks to you both :) I will seek out the Bulls Eye 1-2-3 today - I'm all for as little mess as possible! If that fails I'll go with the whole sanding down mallarky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back