Painting wardrobes - melamine??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I need to spruce-up some fitted wardrobes which are burgandy and so ugly beyond belief. I think they are melamine - must be 25 years old and pretty durable surface with slightly woodgrain texture.

Was initially going to give them a light sand, wash with sugarsoap and then slap on a couple of coats of oil based undercoat followed by oil based satinwood (same as woodwork in rest of bedroom).

I also have a tin of brilliant white ronseal cupboard/melamine paint which was originally being bought for something else.

Would I be best sticking to my original plan, or would the ronseal provide a better base, even for a topcoat of satinwood eventually?

Sponsored Links
Don't do it lol

if u have to, bin 123 is good to prime it wash and sand it first tho

then your ronseal

OK, will check this product out as have seen it recommended before. couple of questions tho.....

i thought primer was more for untreated wood rather than this stuff?

why the ronseal afters, rather than either oil based satinwood or undercoat?

the wood is untreated you want to go over a finished surface this stuff will help the paint stick.

use the ronseal because it was designed for it and will last longer/ wont chip as much

Sponsored Links
Personally i wouldn't sand it as it may scratch/damage the melamine. The ronseal is an adhesion promoting primer rather than a traditional primer that satisfies timber porousity as well as help with adhesion.
Wash the surface, prime and two topcoats, with a light rub down between coats to de-nib

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back