Using Scaffold Boards as flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to create a kind of worn old warehouse floor feel in my flat to go with some exposed brickwork and well finished beaded plaster. The overall effect I am going for is a kind of contrast between old and new like an old dock warehouse conversion.

My builder suggested using old scaffold boards as flooring throughout the large open plan living areas, sanding it and oiling it and then leaving it to age naturally through wear.

Questions:
Does anyone have any thoughts, advice, experience of doing this kind of thing? What is the best technique for laying flooring like this? Would old scaffold boards shrink/expand less than new ones? How would you join them? What sort of underlay would you use given that the existing floor is concrete?

Many thanks

D

Sponsored Links
My 2p?
If you sand old boards, they look as new again.
Scaffolding boards are made of pine: applying any neutral, clear finish (I would recommend oil instead of varnish, ages better - more natural) could turn pine into an organgy colour.

My first thoughts: your builder wants to get rid of his old scaffolding boards ;)

I think you are better of: searching for real reclaimed floorboards (Oak) in reclaim yards or go for new aged and destressed boards.

the trouble with scaffold boards isss

they are 9"wide likely to cup indoors as they live there lives constantly out doors

can be coverd in oil cement paint rust and other unmentionables and as wood says you clean it off you finnish up with well new clean wood

also the planks for sale tend to be the dammaged ones so unless you have several hundred to choose from you are unlikly to have enough sutable board for all but the smallest room

you can of course buy unbanded new boards that are likly to be stored in the open thus getting weatherd

i get mines from lawsons
http://www.lawsons.co.uk/

although they dont mention any of the timberstores south off the river they have taken over ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back